While we take for granted
the paths and roads we use on a daily basis, its interesting
to find out how they came to be. Its not a new concept that
paths worn by the comings and goings of early dwellers and subsequent
settlers in a particular area became roads, streets and thoroughfares,
often with names that reflect their beginnings. Brooklyn Heights
Blog (via Viewing NYC) shares some insight into Brooklyns
familiar roads that began as Native American trails on a 1946 map
titled Indian Villages, Paths, Ponds and Places in Kings County.
The map, which comes
to us courtesy of the Brooklyn Historical Society, was published
in 1946 by James A. Kelly, who was the Brooklyn Borough Historian
at the time. Its noted that some of the trails that
exist today as major thoroughfares, like Fulton Street, Flatbush
Avenue and part of Atlantic Avenue.
Another major Native
American trail heads straight down whats currently Division
Avenue in Williamsburg.
Also noted: theres
a park on the map thats part of what now is Van Voorhees Park.
The citys parks website gives us a bit of history that ties
together yet another layer of the city we currently inhabit.